Friday, June 8, 2012

Day 1 + 2: Travelling Fun and Paris!


We1 embarked upon our tour de France on a Thursday that blended into a Friday at some point over the Atlantic Ocean some thousands of miles above the water.  Grandma was nice enough to drive our car home from the Cleveland airport with the gas tank on empty at 4pm.  We felt a bit rushed before we knew that no one was in line for anything at the airport; we arrived only 1 hour prior to our international flight.  We had a layover in Chicago for about an hour where we had our *last* American meal, Subway.  Then, the fun began.

The interesting thing about our flight is that we would be flying across 7 time zones in approximately 8 hours. Knowing how comfortable sleeping on the plane would be, I prepared for the worst: the continuous day.   Airplane food was alright, but the real highlight was that beer and wine were free.  The in-flight movie (“The Vow”) was nothing spectacular either.  We took off during the evening and arrived in Paris in the morning, hence beginning day 2 of the transit without really sleeping.

I was upset that when we went through customs they didn’t even stamp my passport (so I guess I never really went to France then…).  We walked around the airport for too long trying to figure out how to get to the Metro. Once we found it, we ended up deciding to take a taxi instead.  Watching taxi cabs drive inches from cars on 3 out of 4 sides of the car is a thrill ride, always guessing which car you may bump into next.  Of course, most red lights are optional apparently, seeing as our driver managed to make it through intersections when I swear he was clearly in the wrong.  Nevertheless, we made it to Hotel Innova in once piece, receiving our first friendly, “Bonjour!”

Hotel Innova was located in the middle of Paris, south east of the Eiffel Tower.  We had to take the “lift” to get to our 7th floor rooms.  The first big adventure was attempting to figure out what to do with the wall sockets to plug in stuff.  Naturally, I made the mistake of trying to use one of the converter attachments to a splitter without any sort of adapter in between.  Upon plugging it in, the 220V blew out a shot of electricity or something and all the lights went out.  I had blown a fuse in the room. Shamefully, I walked down the 7 flights of stairs to alert the front desk that I had been a hasty tourist that didn’t read the bullet points about “how to use the wall socket adapter”. 

After the fuse was repaired, we headed out to our first lunch in France.  It was some Café on a street corner called Café Pasteur.  The main problem that my family realized is that when you respond to people in French after they greet you, most of the time they will continue to ask you something else that you weren’t prepared for, leaving most of my family confused.  We attempted to leave because it looked as though there was nowhere to sit but one English speaking man walked out and promptly stole tables and chairs from other groups an formed us a seating right in the sidewalk.  We felt a little out of place.  After we were seated, he pointed out that the main courses all had English translations below it, but the rest we could just figure out.  Good to know for someone like me who only knew how to say please and thank you.  I decided to be adventurous and try the raw hamburger meat, Steak Tartare.

Steak Tartare - the only hamburger meat eaten raw
Yes, I am in the future also, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.  If you have never tried it before, I recommend getting a small taste before committing to the entire meal of it.  My family had a good laugh after seeing what it actually was.  I ate every last bite but I would never order the dish again.  A few other notes that I am convinced about eating out for my first time in France are below:
  • Everyone else seems to order wine with all their meals. Sounds like my kind of country
  • In addition, everyone orders “Café Express” or espresso shots after their meal. No matter what. I didn’t see a regular glass of coffee anywhere
  • All café tables are meant for two people and no more, so don’t bother trying to squeeze a third person in. It only makes you drop more stuff and look more awkward than you already were.
  • Going along with that, people don’t seem to mind sitting veryclose to one another. The close proximity thing is new to me I guess.
  • People eat French fries with forks. The only food I thought was really the definition of a finger food was no longer. Hence, I didn’t dare look like a pig and used my silverware for any food that was presented to me.
  • Everyone dresses really nice. I felt like no one had a hoodie, or any semblance of what I consider comfortable clothing there. Dress to impress I assume.

… more to come

The Louvre Museum
After lunch, we spent a little bit of time being confused on how to purchase a Metro pass.  We thought it would be a good day to go to the Musѐe du Louvre since it was raining pretty hard. We spent about 15 minutes trying to get information since the automatic kiosk wouldn’t work. At this point I walked outside to find that it had stopped raining and that we should just walk outside and explore instead.  We continued south into Paris until we found L'Hôtel National des Invalides where the double-decker bus tours that ran though Paris along the major monuments/statues/buildings that we wanted to see anyways.  We got on that bus which was pretty unique experience to me, even as a “veteran” tourist. Before, I was convinced that taxi drivers were insane but after riding on some of those buses, I am convinced that some bus drivers are above all logical traffic laws.

Bus ride with the family
 We saw a bunch of different tourist places on our trip. We drove by the École Militaire and the Luxor Obelisk.  We decided to get off the bus at the Tuileries Garden where Mom was able to find the first place that charge you €0,50 to use the bathroom.  However, the bathrooms were spotless.  We took the tourist around the Grand Bassin Octagonal, a fountain in the middle of the garden.  I was not sure what was so great about it; there were about 50 people sitting around it in lawn chairs as if something was going to happen.

Getting back on the bus wasn’t as easy the second time, mostly because it started raining and no one would get off the bus.  Instead of getting back on the bus, we decided to traverse over to L'église de la Madeleine, a massive Roman Catholic church close by.  We went inside and took a few pictures to wait out the rain so that we would have a better shot at getting on the next bus when it wasn’t raining. 

Once we got back on the bus, everything became a blur because I started passing out sitting up (running on no hours of sleep was finally catching up to us).  Somehow I woke up to us passing through an archway into the Musѐe du Louvre where we got off to see if we could get in for free since we didn’t think it would be worth it to drag 5 sleepless beings into a quiet museum where they may just pass out at any moment.  Unfortunately, no free museum since it was open until 9:30pm, not the original 6:00pm we had thought2.

Notre Dame
Next stop on the bus tour was Notre Dame, the famous church from that Disney cartoon we used to watch.  Inside we found a bunch of people lighting candles and taking pictures (without flash of course).  Dad decided to light a candle for Grandpa.  The place was massive and just as we were walking in, they started a procession to begin their Friday evening Mass.  After not understanding anything they were saying, we left to get back on the tour bus to see the symbol of Paris, the Eiffel Tower.


We were too tired at this point to actually go and see the tower, but we rode on the bus around it a few times it seemed.  We figured we would check it out another time when we had more energy.  On our way back to the room, we spotted a café that looked similar to the one in “Inception” the movie so we decided to take a picture and compare later.  Once back at the hotel, everyone who hit the pillow passed out immediately.  Two continuous days sounds not so bad at first, but at the end of it, you can barely stay awake.  Needless to say, we all slept soundly on our messed up sleep schedule, hoping that tomorrow will give us some energy to make it through the day.

1For the duration of this blog, everytime I say “we” I mean my parents, my brothers Nick and Lucas, and me. I refuse to spell that out throughout the post.
2We would find out later that the only time the museum was free was the first Sunday of the month as well as anyone under 18 – so remember that if you plan on going.

No comments:

Post a Comment